August 14, 2011

You put the Apples in the Mason Jar and eat it all up.

Sooo, I have a ton of apples. Like a ton would be an understatement. HUGE understatement. From one tree I have more apples than I know what to do with.
LUCKILY, John's mom gave me a bunch of jars for my birthday and I will be able to can them up. Of course, I'm making apple pies as well. That is just plain obvious. You don't get apples and not make an apple pie.

I will be trying out my first recipe from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving and I'm really excited. It is the Apple Preserves recipes.

Apple Preserves
(Makes about 6 half pints)
6 cups sliced, peeled, cored apples
1/2 cup thinly sliced and seeded lemons (about 1 medium)
4 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 package powdered pectin

The instructions
Combine Apples, water and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in powdered pectin. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add lemon slices and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Skim foam if needed. Stir in nutmeg. Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

This information is not owned by me and is copied from the Ball Blue Book without any expressed permission.

I am really excited to see how this turns out. I don't have nutmeg, so I may just stick with allspice. I will definately take photos of the process if I can. Most likely if I get John to help I will be able to. Otherwise.. Hot kitchen, boiling apples, expensive cameras... not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment